The basic things to have checked out:
- Check the filters and fluids. This includes engine oil, power steering and brake and transmission fluid. Also, don’t forget about windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check your air conditioning. No one will have fun on vacation if the car is an oven.
- Check windshield wipers. If you see cracks in the rubber or streaks on the windshield, it may be time for a new set.
- Check the brakes. If you hear any grinding or squeaking, there is a problem that needs immediate attention.
- Check your battery. If your battery is weak now, it'll be weaker on the road.
- Check the tires. Make sure they are the right pressure. Look for bulges in the walls or thin treads. Those are both indicators that your tires need to be replaced.
- Check to see if your lights are working. That means your daytime, brights, reverse, turn signals and brake lights. Honk the horn. Check your dash and interior lights.
- Check your spare. You want to make sure there is air in your spare tire, Also make sure you have all the necessary tools to change a flat tire.
- Check your emergency kit. Safety triangles, road flares, jumper cables, flashlight, map, phone charger, and a first aid kit.